Paediatric Services at the Speech Group
The Speech Group provides paediatric speech and language therapy for children of all ages, who have sustained brain injury at birth or during childhood years.
Assessment of motor speech, language, cognition and feeding helps us to design a programme which works alongside educational facilities, parents, case managers and members of a multidisciplinary team.
Our paediatric speech and language therapists have particular experience and skills in:
- Augmentative communication (including both low technology and high technology assessment)
- Communication, language and literacy software packages such as Clicker 7
- Dysphagia and feeding assessment and therapy
- PECS and PODD communication systems
- PROMPT Therapy
- Attention and sensory-processing difficulties
- Complex physical neurological disability, facial-oral tract therapy and Bobath
- Educational review, Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) support
PODD AND PECS
At the Speech Group we can build PODD (Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display) books and also provide PECS for our paediatric clients, using the appropriate software.
To start with, we will assess your child’s communication needs and consider the options in terms of symbol-based communication methods.
This process is complex and will take into account attention, behaviour, intent to communicate, sensory demands and physical demands.